Date   

Re: External Veteran Survey

N Y Business
 

Why would one be required to file a formal request to ask the VA to follow federal law?


On Fri, Mar 25, 2022 at 8:45 PM N Y Business via hlaagroups.hearingloss.org <black8765309.8765309=gmail.com@...> wrote:

On Fri, Mar 25, 2022 at 8:08 PM Steve Sterry <steve.sterry@...> wrote:
Have you requested reasonable accommodation in writing?

 

Steven C. Sterry, M.A./M.B.A.

10149 Grayling AV. – Whittier, CA  90603-2608

Phone (562) 947-2258

Email: steve.sterry@...

 



On Fri, Mar 25, 2022 at 6:00 PM N Y Business <black8765309.8765309@...> wrote:

On Fri, Mar 25, 2022 at 7:50 PM Steve Sterry <steve.sterry@...> wrote:
I don't disagree with you.  However, unless you are ready to file a formal complaint under the Rehabilitation Act, you may get nowhere.

One other  suggestion, however, comes to mind.  I believe that each VA Medical Center has an Equal Opportunity Office.  When I wanted to file a complaint because my local VA Dental Department decided to declare its examining rooms as operatories and, therefore off limits to both pets and service dogs, I contacted their EO Officer, and within six months, my service dog was, once again, able to accompany me to my dental exams.  In the meantime, before the settlement was reached, she volunteered to puppy-sit my service dog while I attended my dental appointments.  

Finally, you cannot dictate what action the VA has to take.  All you can do is ask for reasonable accommodation, and it is then up to them to offer you something reasonable if they feel that there is some other viable solution that they can propose.  

Good luck,

 

Steven C. Sterry, M.A./M.B.A.

10149 Grayling AV. – Whittier, CA  90603-2608

Phone (562) 947-2258

Email: steve.sterry@...

 



On Fri, Mar 25, 2022 at 5:26 PM N Y Business <black8765309.8765309@...> wrote:
Sorry. I don't work there . I'm the Veteran using the Blue dot website. I'm using the Blue Dot web site because the VA is 90 miles away. It was designed for this reason. for veterans to use when they need access to their records.

On Fri, Mar 25, 2022 at 2:16 PM Steve Sterry <steve.sterry@...> wrote:
You can't find the "tools" menu because you are looking at a printout of the record, not the record itself.  The record can only be accessed on the VA computers.  On the other hand, if the VA is willing to print the values of the plot points of your audiogram, that should take care of your problem.

 

Steven C. Sterry, M.A./M.B.A.

10149 Grayling AV. – Whittier, CA  90603-2608

Phone (562) 947-2258

Email: steve.sterry@...

 



On Fri, Mar 25, 2022 at 2:53 AM N Y Business <black8765309.8765309@...> wrote:
The issue is that what is put in the records should be usable by other audiologists.
I'm looking for the " Tools Menu " . Can't find that .

Virus-free. www.avast.com

On Fri, Mar 25, 2022 at 2:53 AM Steve Sterry <steve.sterry@...> wrote:
That's too bad.  All of the notes that I found in my record were very professional and very detailed.  Maybe you should contact your Audiology Department head and explain your specific needs to him or her.  In the meantime, maybe we can get a general letter from HLAA to the National VA to suggest that audiologists notes be held to the same standards and detail of the other medical practitioners that we veterans see. 

 

Steven C. Sterry, M.A./M.B.A.

10149 Grayling AV. – Whittier, CA  90603-2608

Phone (562) 947-2258

Email: steve.sterry@...

 



On Thu, Mar 24, 2022 at 9:48 PM N Y Business <black8765309.8765309@...> wrote:
I'm searching for the records now .  There are some comments about how good of a job the audiologist did according to the audiologist in regards to fit and was I happy to get them. Nothing another audiologist can use. The audoligist was covering his azz his all I can find so far.

On Thu, Mar 24, 2022 at 11:36 PM Steve Sterry <steve.sterry@...> wrote:
Understood.  Perhaps one temporary solution to the problem would be to ask your audiologist to document the measurements at each normal plot point on the audiogram chart in his or her comments.  As I understand, the normal plot points are 125, 250, 500. 1k, 2k, 4k, and 8kHZ.  That is the only additional information that outside audiologists would really need.  Perhaps the HLAA could draft and send a letter to Washington with a request that this be standardized for the whole VA system.

I think that part of the problem here is that the VA is trying to shift from its old archaic system into a new one and is having enough problems generating the necessary data to create reliable medical records.  I think that the resistance that you are getting is based upon their plans to activate the new system and deactivate the old one.  They don't want to spend money enhancing a computer system that will shortly (as they hope) go away.

What do you think?

 

Steven C. Sterry, M.A./M.B.A.

10149 Grayling AV. – Whittier, CA  90603-2608

Phone (562) 947-2258

Email: steve.sterry@...

 



On Thu, Mar 24, 2022 at 7:24 PM N Y Business <black8765309.8765309@...> wrote:
I am also a premium member and have searched the Blue Dot. The graph is what is needed when you are going to an outside audiologist to avoid retaking the test at a cost. . Now I can get images of MRI and CAT scans and colonoscopy from the Blue Dot info sharing download etc. . But not a scanned document of the hearing test which is what outside audiologist and need to make adjustments to hearing aids. 

Virus-free. www.avast.com

On Thu, Mar 24, 2022 at 8:24 PM Steve Sterry <steve.sterry@...> wrote:
I understand that some members of this group have complained that audiology medical records are being excluded from our online medical records.  I can tell you that is not the case in our Los Angeles area VA facilities.  I have a premium account in MyHealtheVet, and I was able to select VA Notes in the VA Blue Button Report section.  I was able to find notes going back to the year 2013.  The following is an example that I read from my 2013 report:

"Audiological Evaluation (view Audiogram under Tools menu) Purpose of visit: re-evaluation Primary complaint: Pt. perceives decrease in hearing sensitivity History: Situation(s) of greatest difficulty: Background noise History of middle ear disease/surgery: denied Tinnitus: both ears constant Dizziness/vertigo: present occasionally when leaning head back Aural Fullness: No Otalgia: No Hearing aid use: both ears VA issued; removal wire has broken off aid. Unable to replace wire in clinic. Pt. did not want to send aids in at this time. Cleaned and checked both aids. Both aids functioning properly. Results: Otoscopy: Right ear: clear view of eardrum Left ear: clear view of eardrum Tympanometry: Right ear: normal Left ear: normal Earphones used: supra-aural earphones Test reliability: good Impressions: AD: Mild to profound sensorineural hearing loss. Word recognition for amplified speech was fair-to-poor (45-59%). 52% @ 85 dbHL AS: Mild to profound sensorineural hearing loss. Word recognition for amplified speech was good (80-100%). 80% @ 90 dbHL AU: Hearing essentially unchanged. Patient education: Communication strategies for difficult listening situations, Realistic expectations from hearing aid use Recommendations: The results of the hearing test were explained to the patient. RTC if hearing changes. Pt. is interested in new amplification. Spoke with patient about new hearing aids coming on contract in May. Pt. will contact audiologist after May 1."

Yes, my audiogram is missing.  However, its evaluation is still there.  The reason that the audiogram is not there has to do with the fact that the VA report system (including all test results) is a text based system.  It is not capable of being presented graphically.  

Maybe this is a regional issue, rather than a national issue.  Or maybe some people are looking in the wrong section of their Blue Ribbon reports.  I hope this might shed some light to this issue.

 

Steven C. Sterry, M.A./M.B.A.

10149 Grayling AV. – Whittier, CA  90603-2608

Phone (562) 947-2258

Email: steve.sterry@...

 


Re: External Veteran Survey

N Y Business
 

On Fri, Mar 25, 2022 at 8:08 PM Steve Sterry <steve.sterry@...> wrote:
Have you requested reasonable accommodation in writing?

 

Steven C. Sterry, M.A./M.B.A.

10149 Grayling AV. – Whittier, CA  90603-2608

Phone (562) 947-2258

Email: steve.sterry@...

 



On Fri, Mar 25, 2022 at 6:00 PM N Y Business <black8765309.8765309@...> wrote:

On Fri, Mar 25, 2022 at 7:50 PM Steve Sterry <steve.sterry@...> wrote:
I don't disagree with you.  However, unless you are ready to file a formal complaint under the Rehabilitation Act, you may get nowhere.

One other  suggestion, however, comes to mind.  I believe that each VA Medical Center has an Equal Opportunity Office.  When I wanted to file a complaint because my local VA Dental Department decided to declare its examining rooms as operatories and, therefore off limits to both pets and service dogs, I contacted their EO Officer, and within six months, my service dog was, once again, able to accompany me to my dental exams.  In the meantime, before the settlement was reached, she volunteered to puppy-sit my service dog while I attended my dental appointments.  

Finally, you cannot dictate what action the VA has to take.  All you can do is ask for reasonable accommodation, and it is then up to them to offer you something reasonable if they feel that there is some other viable solution that they can propose.  

Good luck,

 

Steven C. Sterry, M.A./M.B.A.

10149 Grayling AV. – Whittier, CA  90603-2608

Phone (562) 947-2258

Email: steve.sterry@...

 



On Fri, Mar 25, 2022 at 5:26 PM N Y Business <black8765309.8765309@...> wrote:
Sorry. I don't work there . I'm the Veteran using the Blue dot website. I'm using the Blue Dot web site because the VA is 90 miles away. It was designed for this reason. for veterans to use when they need access to their records.

On Fri, Mar 25, 2022 at 2:16 PM Steve Sterry <steve.sterry@...> wrote:
You can't find the "tools" menu because you are looking at a printout of the record, not the record itself.  The record can only be accessed on the VA computers.  On the other hand, if the VA is willing to print the values of the plot points of your audiogram, that should take care of your problem.

 

Steven C. Sterry, M.A./M.B.A.

10149 Grayling AV. – Whittier, CA  90603-2608

Phone (562) 947-2258

Email: steve.sterry@...

 



On Fri, Mar 25, 2022 at 2:53 AM N Y Business <black8765309.8765309@...> wrote:
The issue is that what is put in the records should be usable by other audiologists.
I'm looking for the " Tools Menu " . Can't find that .

Virus-free. www.avast.com

On Fri, Mar 25, 2022 at 2:53 AM Steve Sterry <steve.sterry@...> wrote:
That's too bad.  All of the notes that I found in my record were very professional and very detailed.  Maybe you should contact your Audiology Department head and explain your specific needs to him or her.  In the meantime, maybe we can get a general letter from HLAA to the National VA to suggest that audiologists notes be held to the same standards and detail of the other medical practitioners that we veterans see. 

 

Steven C. Sterry, M.A./M.B.A.

10149 Grayling AV. – Whittier, CA  90603-2608

Phone (562) 947-2258

Email: steve.sterry@...

 



On Thu, Mar 24, 2022 at 9:48 PM N Y Business <black8765309.8765309@...> wrote:
I'm searching for the records now .  There are some comments about how good of a job the audiologist did according to the audiologist in regards to fit and was I happy to get them. Nothing another audiologist can use. The audoligist was covering his azz his all I can find so far.

On Thu, Mar 24, 2022 at 11:36 PM Steve Sterry <steve.sterry@...> wrote:
Understood.  Perhaps one temporary solution to the problem would be to ask your audiologist to document the measurements at each normal plot point on the audiogram chart in his or her comments.  As I understand, the normal plot points are 125, 250, 500. 1k, 2k, 4k, and 8kHZ.  That is the only additional information that outside audiologists would really need.  Perhaps the HLAA could draft and send a letter to Washington with a request that this be standardized for the whole VA system.

I think that part of the problem here is that the VA is trying to shift from its old archaic system into a new one and is having enough problems generating the necessary data to create reliable medical records.  I think that the resistance that you are getting is based upon their plans to activate the new system and deactivate the old one.  They don't want to spend money enhancing a computer system that will shortly (as they hope) go away.

What do you think?

 

Steven C. Sterry, M.A./M.B.A.

10149 Grayling AV. – Whittier, CA  90603-2608

Phone (562) 947-2258

Email: steve.sterry@...

 



On Thu, Mar 24, 2022 at 7:24 PM N Y Business <black8765309.8765309@...> wrote:
I am also a premium member and have searched the Blue Dot. The graph is what is needed when you are going to an outside audiologist to avoid retaking the test at a cost. . Now I can get images of MRI and CAT scans and colonoscopy from the Blue Dot info sharing download etc. . But not a scanned document of the hearing test which is what outside audiologist and need to make adjustments to hearing aids. 

Virus-free. www.avast.com

On Thu, Mar 24, 2022 at 8:24 PM Steve Sterry <steve.sterry@...> wrote:
I understand that some members of this group have complained that audiology medical records are being excluded from our online medical records.  I can tell you that is not the case in our Los Angeles area VA facilities.  I have a premium account in MyHealtheVet, and I was able to select VA Notes in the VA Blue Button Report section.  I was able to find notes going back to the year 2013.  The following is an example that I read from my 2013 report:

"Audiological Evaluation (view Audiogram under Tools menu) Purpose of visit: re-evaluation Primary complaint: Pt. perceives decrease in hearing sensitivity History: Situation(s) of greatest difficulty: Background noise History of middle ear disease/surgery: denied Tinnitus: both ears constant Dizziness/vertigo: present occasionally when leaning head back Aural Fullness: No Otalgia: No Hearing aid use: both ears VA issued; removal wire has broken off aid. Unable to replace wire in clinic. Pt. did not want to send aids in at this time. Cleaned and checked both aids. Both aids functioning properly. Results: Otoscopy: Right ear: clear view of eardrum Left ear: clear view of eardrum Tympanometry: Right ear: normal Left ear: normal Earphones used: supra-aural earphones Test reliability: good Impressions: AD: Mild to profound sensorineural hearing loss. Word recognition for amplified speech was fair-to-poor (45-59%). 52% @ 85 dbHL AS: Mild to profound sensorineural hearing loss. Word recognition for amplified speech was good (80-100%). 80% @ 90 dbHL AU: Hearing essentially unchanged. Patient education: Communication strategies for difficult listening situations, Realistic expectations from hearing aid use Recommendations: The results of the hearing test were explained to the patient. RTC if hearing changes. Pt. is interested in new amplification. Spoke with patient about new hearing aids coming on contract in May. Pt. will contact audiologist after May 1."

Yes, my audiogram is missing.  However, its evaluation is still there.  The reason that the audiogram is not there has to do with the fact that the VA report system (including all test results) is a text based system.  It is not capable of being presented graphically.  

Maybe this is a regional issue, rather than a national issue.  Or maybe some people are looking in the wrong section of their Blue Ribbon reports.  I hope this might shed some light to this issue.

 

Steven C. Sterry, M.A./M.B.A.

10149 Grayling AV. – Whittier, CA  90603-2608

Phone (562) 947-2258

Email: steve.sterry@...

 


Re: External Veteran Survey

N Y Business
 

Secure messaging and the state senator Jerry Moran office is helping but they haven't been able to resolve it either. Or.. they don't understand the problem. I have downloaded ADA form. I have repeatedly asked everyone possible. to help and nope. gaslighting from everyone. There are 3.5 million hearing inpaired veterans. 2.7 million of them are service connected. And our audiology records are not available to us like the medical records for all other medical conditions. 

Virus-free. www.avast.com


On Fri, Mar 25, 2022 at 8:08 PM Steve Sterry <steve.sterry@...> wrote:
Have you requested reasonable accommodation in writing?

 

Steven C. Sterry, M.A./M.B.A.

10149 Grayling AV. – Whittier, CA  90603-2608

Phone (562) 947-2258

Email: steve.sterry@...

 



On Fri, Mar 25, 2022 at 6:00 PM N Y Business <black8765309.8765309@...> wrote:

On Fri, Mar 25, 2022 at 7:50 PM Steve Sterry <steve.sterry@...> wrote:
I don't disagree with you.  However, unless you are ready to file a formal complaint under the Rehabilitation Act, you may get nowhere.

One other  suggestion, however, comes to mind.  I believe that each VA Medical Center has an Equal Opportunity Office.  When I wanted to file a complaint because my local VA Dental Department decided to declare its examining rooms as operatories and, therefore off limits to both pets and service dogs, I contacted their EO Officer, and within six months, my service dog was, once again, able to accompany me to my dental exams.  In the meantime, before the settlement was reached, she volunteered to puppy-sit my service dog while I attended my dental appointments.  

Finally, you cannot dictate what action the VA has to take.  All you can do is ask for reasonable accommodation, and it is then up to them to offer you something reasonable if they feel that there is some other viable solution that they can propose.  

Good luck,

 

Steven C. Sterry, M.A./M.B.A.

10149 Grayling AV. – Whittier, CA  90603-2608

Phone (562) 947-2258

Email: steve.sterry@...

 



On Fri, Mar 25, 2022 at 5:26 PM N Y Business <black8765309.8765309@...> wrote:
Sorry. I don't work there . I'm the Veteran using the Blue dot website. I'm using the Blue Dot web site because the VA is 90 miles away. It was designed for this reason. for veterans to use when they need access to their records.

On Fri, Mar 25, 2022 at 2:16 PM Steve Sterry <steve.sterry@...> wrote:
You can't find the "tools" menu because you are looking at a printout of the record, not the record itself.  The record can only be accessed on the VA computers.  On the other hand, if the VA is willing to print the values of the plot points of your audiogram, that should take care of your problem.

 

Steven C. Sterry, M.A./M.B.A.

10149 Grayling AV. – Whittier, CA  90603-2608

Phone (562) 947-2258

Email: steve.sterry@...

 



On Fri, Mar 25, 2022 at 2:53 AM N Y Business <black8765309.8765309@...> wrote:
The issue is that what is put in the records should be usable by other audiologists.
I'm looking for the " Tools Menu " . Can't find that .

Virus-free. www.avast.com

On Fri, Mar 25, 2022 at 2:53 AM Steve Sterry <steve.sterry@...> wrote:
That's too bad.  All of the notes that I found in my record were very professional and very detailed.  Maybe you should contact your Audiology Department head and explain your specific needs to him or her.  In the meantime, maybe we can get a general letter from HLAA to the National VA to suggest that audiologists notes be held to the same standards and detail of the other medical practitioners that we veterans see. 

 

Steven C. Sterry, M.A./M.B.A.

10149 Grayling AV. – Whittier, CA  90603-2608

Phone (562) 947-2258

Email: steve.sterry@...

 



On Thu, Mar 24, 2022 at 9:48 PM N Y Business <black8765309.8765309@...> wrote:
I'm searching for the records now .  There are some comments about how good of a job the audiologist did according to the audiologist in regards to fit and was I happy to get them. Nothing another audiologist can use. The audoligist was covering his azz his all I can find so far.

On Thu, Mar 24, 2022 at 11:36 PM Steve Sterry <steve.sterry@...> wrote:
Understood.  Perhaps one temporary solution to the problem would be to ask your audiologist to document the measurements at each normal plot point on the audiogram chart in his or her comments.  As I understand, the normal plot points are 125, 250, 500. 1k, 2k, 4k, and 8kHZ.  That is the only additional information that outside audiologists would really need.  Perhaps the HLAA could draft and send a letter to Washington with a request that this be standardized for the whole VA system.

I think that part of the problem here is that the VA is trying to shift from its old archaic system into a new one and is having enough problems generating the necessary data to create reliable medical records.  I think that the resistance that you are getting is based upon their plans to activate the new system and deactivate the old one.  They don't want to spend money enhancing a computer system that will shortly (as they hope) go away.

What do you think?

 

Steven C. Sterry, M.A./M.B.A.

10149 Grayling AV. – Whittier, CA  90603-2608

Phone (562) 947-2258

Email: steve.sterry@...

 



On Thu, Mar 24, 2022 at 7:24 PM N Y Business <black8765309.8765309@...> wrote:
I am also a premium member and have searched the Blue Dot. The graph is what is needed when you are going to an outside audiologist to avoid retaking the test at a cost. . Now I can get images of MRI and CAT scans and colonoscopy from the Blue Dot info sharing download etc. . But not a scanned document of the hearing test which is what outside audiologist and need to make adjustments to hearing aids. 

Virus-free. www.avast.com

On Thu, Mar 24, 2022 at 8:24 PM Steve Sterry <steve.sterry@...> wrote:
I understand that some members of this group have complained that audiology medical records are being excluded from our online medical records.  I can tell you that is not the case in our Los Angeles area VA facilities.  I have a premium account in MyHealtheVet, and I was able to select VA Notes in the VA Blue Button Report section.  I was able to find notes going back to the year 2013.  The following is an example that I read from my 2013 report:

"Audiological Evaluation (view Audiogram under Tools menu) Purpose of visit: re-evaluation Primary complaint: Pt. perceives decrease in hearing sensitivity History: Situation(s) of greatest difficulty: Background noise History of middle ear disease/surgery: denied Tinnitus: both ears constant Dizziness/vertigo: present occasionally when leaning head back Aural Fullness: No Otalgia: No Hearing aid use: both ears VA issued; removal wire has broken off aid. Unable to replace wire in clinic. Pt. did not want to send aids in at this time. Cleaned and checked both aids. Both aids functioning properly. Results: Otoscopy: Right ear: clear view of eardrum Left ear: clear view of eardrum Tympanometry: Right ear: normal Left ear: normal Earphones used: supra-aural earphones Test reliability: good Impressions: AD: Mild to profound sensorineural hearing loss. Word recognition for amplified speech was fair-to-poor (45-59%). 52% @ 85 dbHL AS: Mild to profound sensorineural hearing loss. Word recognition for amplified speech was good (80-100%). 80% @ 90 dbHL AU: Hearing essentially unchanged. Patient education: Communication strategies for difficult listening situations, Realistic expectations from hearing aid use Recommendations: The results of the hearing test were explained to the patient. RTC if hearing changes. Pt. is interested in new amplification. Spoke with patient about new hearing aids coming on contract in May. Pt. will contact audiologist after May 1."

Yes, my audiogram is missing.  However, its evaluation is still there.  The reason that the audiogram is not there has to do with the fact that the VA report system (including all test results) is a text based system.  It is not capable of being presented graphically.  

Maybe this is a regional issue, rather than a national issue.  Or maybe some people are looking in the wrong section of their Blue Ribbon reports.  I hope this might shed some light to this issue.

 

Steven C. Sterry, M.A./M.B.A.

10149 Grayling AV. – Whittier, CA  90603-2608

Phone (562) 947-2258

Email: steve.sterry@...

 


Re: External Veteran Survey

Steve Sterry
 

Have you requested reasonable accommodation in writing?

 

Steven C. Sterry, M.A./M.B.A.

10149 Grayling AV. – Whittier, CA  90603-2608

Phone (562) 947-2258

Email: steve.sterry@...

 



On Fri, Mar 25, 2022 at 6:00 PM N Y Business <black8765309.8765309@...> wrote:

On Fri, Mar 25, 2022 at 7:50 PM Steve Sterry <steve.sterry@...> wrote:
I don't disagree with you.  However, unless you are ready to file a formal complaint under the Rehabilitation Act, you may get nowhere.

One other  suggestion, however, comes to mind.  I believe that each VA Medical Center has an Equal Opportunity Office.  When I wanted to file a complaint because my local VA Dental Department decided to declare its examining rooms as operatories and, therefore off limits to both pets and service dogs, I contacted their EO Officer, and within six months, my service dog was, once again, able to accompany me to my dental exams.  In the meantime, before the settlement was reached, she volunteered to puppy-sit my service dog while I attended my dental appointments.  

Finally, you cannot dictate what action the VA has to take.  All you can do is ask for reasonable accommodation, and it is then up to them to offer you something reasonable if they feel that there is some other viable solution that they can propose.  

Good luck,

 

Steven C. Sterry, M.A./M.B.A.

10149 Grayling AV. – Whittier, CA  90603-2608

Phone (562) 947-2258

Email: steve.sterry@...

 



On Fri, Mar 25, 2022 at 5:26 PM N Y Business <black8765309.8765309@...> wrote:
Sorry. I don't work there . I'm the Veteran using the Blue dot website. I'm using the Blue Dot web site because the VA is 90 miles away. It was designed for this reason. for veterans to use when they need access to their records.

On Fri, Mar 25, 2022 at 2:16 PM Steve Sterry <steve.sterry@...> wrote:
You can't find the "tools" menu because you are looking at a printout of the record, not the record itself.  The record can only be accessed on the VA computers.  On the other hand, if the VA is willing to print the values of the plot points of your audiogram, that should take care of your problem.

 

Steven C. Sterry, M.A./M.B.A.

10149 Grayling AV. – Whittier, CA  90603-2608

Phone (562) 947-2258

Email: steve.sterry@...

 



On Fri, Mar 25, 2022 at 2:53 AM N Y Business <black8765309.8765309@...> wrote:
The issue is that what is put in the records should be usable by other audiologists.
I'm looking for the " Tools Menu " . Can't find that .

Virus-free. www.avast.com

On Fri, Mar 25, 2022 at 2:53 AM Steve Sterry <steve.sterry@...> wrote:
That's too bad.  All of the notes that I found in my record were very professional and very detailed.  Maybe you should contact your Audiology Department head and explain your specific needs to him or her.  In the meantime, maybe we can get a general letter from HLAA to the National VA to suggest that audiologists notes be held to the same standards and detail of the other medical practitioners that we veterans see. 

 

Steven C. Sterry, M.A./M.B.A.

10149 Grayling AV. – Whittier, CA  90603-2608

Phone (562) 947-2258

Email: steve.sterry@...

 



On Thu, Mar 24, 2022 at 9:48 PM N Y Business <black8765309.8765309@...> wrote:
I'm searching for the records now .  There are some comments about how good of a job the audiologist did according to the audiologist in regards to fit and was I happy to get them. Nothing another audiologist can use. The audoligist was covering his azz his all I can find so far.

On Thu, Mar 24, 2022 at 11:36 PM Steve Sterry <steve.sterry@...> wrote:
Understood.  Perhaps one temporary solution to the problem would be to ask your audiologist to document the measurements at each normal plot point on the audiogram chart in his or her comments.  As I understand, the normal plot points are 125, 250, 500. 1k, 2k, 4k, and 8kHZ.  That is the only additional information that outside audiologists would really need.  Perhaps the HLAA could draft and send a letter to Washington with a request that this be standardized for the whole VA system.

I think that part of the problem here is that the VA is trying to shift from its old archaic system into a new one and is having enough problems generating the necessary data to create reliable medical records.  I think that the resistance that you are getting is based upon their plans to activate the new system and deactivate the old one.  They don't want to spend money enhancing a computer system that will shortly (as they hope) go away.

What do you think?

 

Steven C. Sterry, M.A./M.B.A.

10149 Grayling AV. – Whittier, CA  90603-2608

Phone (562) 947-2258

Email: steve.sterry@...

 



On Thu, Mar 24, 2022 at 7:24 PM N Y Business <black8765309.8765309@...> wrote:
I am also a premium member and have searched the Blue Dot. The graph is what is needed when you are going to an outside audiologist to avoid retaking the test at a cost. . Now I can get images of MRI and CAT scans and colonoscopy from the Blue Dot info sharing download etc. . But not a scanned document of the hearing test which is what outside audiologist and need to make adjustments to hearing aids. 

Virus-free. www.avast.com

On Thu, Mar 24, 2022 at 8:24 PM Steve Sterry <steve.sterry@...> wrote:
I understand that some members of this group have complained that audiology medical records are being excluded from our online medical records.  I can tell you that is not the case in our Los Angeles area VA facilities.  I have a premium account in MyHealtheVet, and I was able to select VA Notes in the VA Blue Button Report section.  I was able to find notes going back to the year 2013.  The following is an example that I read from my 2013 report:

"Audiological Evaluation (view Audiogram under Tools menu) Purpose of visit: re-evaluation Primary complaint: Pt. perceives decrease in hearing sensitivity History: Situation(s) of greatest difficulty: Background noise History of middle ear disease/surgery: denied Tinnitus: both ears constant Dizziness/vertigo: present occasionally when leaning head back Aural Fullness: No Otalgia: No Hearing aid use: both ears VA issued; removal wire has broken off aid. Unable to replace wire in clinic. Pt. did not want to send aids in at this time. Cleaned and checked both aids. Both aids functioning properly. Results: Otoscopy: Right ear: clear view of eardrum Left ear: clear view of eardrum Tympanometry: Right ear: normal Left ear: normal Earphones used: supra-aural earphones Test reliability: good Impressions: AD: Mild to profound sensorineural hearing loss. Word recognition for amplified speech was fair-to-poor (45-59%). 52% @ 85 dbHL AS: Mild to profound sensorineural hearing loss. Word recognition for amplified speech was good (80-100%). 80% @ 90 dbHL AU: Hearing essentially unchanged. Patient education: Communication strategies for difficult listening situations, Realistic expectations from hearing aid use Recommendations: The results of the hearing test were explained to the patient. RTC if hearing changes. Pt. is interested in new amplification. Spoke with patient about new hearing aids coming on contract in May. Pt. will contact audiologist after May 1."

Yes, my audiogram is missing.  However, its evaluation is still there.  The reason that the audiogram is not there has to do with the fact that the VA report system (including all test results) is a text based system.  It is not capable of being presented graphically.  

Maybe this is a regional issue, rather than a national issue.  Or maybe some people are looking in the wrong section of their Blue Ribbon reports.  I hope this might shed some light to this issue.

 

Steven C. Sterry, M.A./M.B.A.

10149 Grayling AV. – Whittier, CA  90603-2608

Phone (562) 947-2258

Email: steve.sterry@...

 


Re: External Veteran Survey

N Y Business
 

On Fri, Mar 25, 2022 at 7:50 PM Steve Sterry <steve.sterry@...> wrote:
I don't disagree with you.  However, unless you are ready to file a formal complaint under the Rehabilitation Act, you may get nowhere.

One other  suggestion, however, comes to mind.  I believe that each VA Medical Center has an Equal Opportunity Office.  When I wanted to file a complaint because my local VA Dental Department decided to declare its examining rooms as operatories and, therefore off limits to both pets and service dogs, I contacted their EO Officer, and within six months, my service dog was, once again, able to accompany me to my dental exams.  In the meantime, before the settlement was reached, she volunteered to puppy-sit my service dog while I attended my dental appointments.  

Finally, you cannot dictate what action the VA has to take.  All you can do is ask for reasonable accommodation, and it is then up to them to offer you something reasonable if they feel that there is some other viable solution that they can propose.  

Good luck,

 

Steven C. Sterry, M.A./M.B.A.

10149 Grayling AV. – Whittier, CA  90603-2608

Phone (562) 947-2258

Email: steve.sterry@...

 



On Fri, Mar 25, 2022 at 5:26 PM N Y Business <black8765309.8765309@...> wrote:
Sorry. I don't work there . I'm the Veteran using the Blue dot website. I'm using the Blue Dot web site because the VA is 90 miles away. It was designed for this reason. for veterans to use when they need access to their records.

On Fri, Mar 25, 2022 at 2:16 PM Steve Sterry <steve.sterry@...> wrote:
You can't find the "tools" menu because you are looking at a printout of the record, not the record itself.  The record can only be accessed on the VA computers.  On the other hand, if the VA is willing to print the values of the plot points of your audiogram, that should take care of your problem.

 

Steven C. Sterry, M.A./M.B.A.

10149 Grayling AV. – Whittier, CA  90603-2608

Phone (562) 947-2258

Email: steve.sterry@...

 



On Fri, Mar 25, 2022 at 2:53 AM N Y Business <black8765309.8765309@...> wrote:
The issue is that what is put in the records should be usable by other audiologists.
I'm looking for the " Tools Menu " . Can't find that .

Virus-free. www.avast.com

On Fri, Mar 25, 2022 at 2:53 AM Steve Sterry <steve.sterry@...> wrote:
That's too bad.  All of the notes that I found in my record were very professional and very detailed.  Maybe you should contact your Audiology Department head and explain your specific needs to him or her.  In the meantime, maybe we can get a general letter from HLAA to the National VA to suggest that audiologists notes be held to the same standards and detail of the other medical practitioners that we veterans see. 

 

Steven C. Sterry, M.A./M.B.A.

10149 Grayling AV. – Whittier, CA  90603-2608

Phone (562) 947-2258

Email: steve.sterry@...

 



On Thu, Mar 24, 2022 at 9:48 PM N Y Business <black8765309.8765309@...> wrote:
I'm searching for the records now .  There are some comments about how good of a job the audiologist did according to the audiologist in regards to fit and was I happy to get them. Nothing another audiologist can use. The audoligist was covering his azz his all I can find so far.

On Thu, Mar 24, 2022 at 11:36 PM Steve Sterry <steve.sterry@...> wrote:
Understood.  Perhaps one temporary solution to the problem would be to ask your audiologist to document the measurements at each normal plot point on the audiogram chart in his or her comments.  As I understand, the normal plot points are 125, 250, 500. 1k, 2k, 4k, and 8kHZ.  That is the only additional information that outside audiologists would really need.  Perhaps the HLAA could draft and send a letter to Washington with a request that this be standardized for the whole VA system.

I think that part of the problem here is that the VA is trying to shift from its old archaic system into a new one and is having enough problems generating the necessary data to create reliable medical records.  I think that the resistance that you are getting is based upon their plans to activate the new system and deactivate the old one.  They don't want to spend money enhancing a computer system that will shortly (as they hope) go away.

What do you think?

 

Steven C. Sterry, M.A./M.B.A.

10149 Grayling AV. – Whittier, CA  90603-2608

Phone (562) 947-2258

Email: steve.sterry@...

 



On Thu, Mar 24, 2022 at 7:24 PM N Y Business <black8765309.8765309@...> wrote:
I am also a premium member and have searched the Blue Dot. The graph is what is needed when you are going to an outside audiologist to avoid retaking the test at a cost. . Now I can get images of MRI and CAT scans and colonoscopy from the Blue Dot info sharing download etc. . But not a scanned document of the hearing test which is what outside audiologist and need to make adjustments to hearing aids. 

Virus-free. www.avast.com

On Thu, Mar 24, 2022 at 8:24 PM Steve Sterry <steve.sterry@...> wrote:
I understand that some members of this group have complained that audiology medical records are being excluded from our online medical records.  I can tell you that is not the case in our Los Angeles area VA facilities.  I have a premium account in MyHealtheVet, and I was able to select VA Notes in the VA Blue Button Report section.  I was able to find notes going back to the year 2013.  The following is an example that I read from my 2013 report:

"Audiological Evaluation (view Audiogram under Tools menu) Purpose of visit: re-evaluation Primary complaint: Pt. perceives decrease in hearing sensitivity History: Situation(s) of greatest difficulty: Background noise History of middle ear disease/surgery: denied Tinnitus: both ears constant Dizziness/vertigo: present occasionally when leaning head back Aural Fullness: No Otalgia: No Hearing aid use: both ears VA issued; removal wire has broken off aid. Unable to replace wire in clinic. Pt. did not want to send aids in at this time. Cleaned and checked both aids. Both aids functioning properly. Results: Otoscopy: Right ear: clear view of eardrum Left ear: clear view of eardrum Tympanometry: Right ear: normal Left ear: normal Earphones used: supra-aural earphones Test reliability: good Impressions: AD: Mild to profound sensorineural hearing loss. Word recognition for amplified speech was fair-to-poor (45-59%). 52% @ 85 dbHL AS: Mild to profound sensorineural hearing loss. Word recognition for amplified speech was good (80-100%). 80% @ 90 dbHL AU: Hearing essentially unchanged. Patient education: Communication strategies for difficult listening situations, Realistic expectations from hearing aid use Recommendations: The results of the hearing test were explained to the patient. RTC if hearing changes. Pt. is interested in new amplification. Spoke with patient about new hearing aids coming on contract in May. Pt. will contact audiologist after May 1."

Yes, my audiogram is missing.  However, its evaluation is still there.  The reason that the audiogram is not there has to do with the fact that the VA report system (including all test results) is a text based system.  It is not capable of being presented graphically.  

Maybe this is a regional issue, rather than a national issue.  Or maybe some people are looking in the wrong section of their Blue Ribbon reports.  I hope this might shed some light to this issue.

 

Steven C. Sterry, M.A./M.B.A.

10149 Grayling AV. – Whittier, CA  90603-2608

Phone (562) 947-2258

Email: steve.sterry@...

 


Re: External Veteran Survey

Steve Sterry
 

I don't disagree with you.  However, unless you are ready to file a formal complaint under the Rehabilitation Act, you may get nowhere.

One other  suggestion, however, comes to mind.  I believe that each VA Medical Center has an Equal Opportunity Office.  When I wanted to file a complaint because my local VA Dental Department decided to declare its examining rooms as operatories and, therefore off limits to both pets and service dogs, I contacted their EO Officer, and within six months, my service dog was, once again, able to accompany me to my dental exams.  In the meantime, before the settlement was reached, she volunteered to puppy-sit my service dog while I attended my dental appointments.  

Finally, you cannot dictate what action the VA has to take.  All you can do is ask for reasonable accommodation, and it is then up to them to offer you something reasonable if they feel that there is some other viable solution that they can propose.  

Good luck,

 

Steven C. Sterry, M.A./M.B.A.

10149 Grayling AV. – Whittier, CA  90603-2608

Phone (562) 947-2258

Email: steve.sterry@...

 



On Fri, Mar 25, 2022 at 5:26 PM N Y Business <black8765309.8765309@...> wrote:
Sorry. I don't work there . I'm the Veteran using the Blue dot website. I'm using the Blue Dot web site because the VA is 90 miles away. It was designed for this reason. for veterans to use when they need access to their records.

On Fri, Mar 25, 2022 at 2:16 PM Steve Sterry <steve.sterry@...> wrote:
You can't find the "tools" menu because you are looking at a printout of the record, not the record itself.  The record can only be accessed on the VA computers.  On the other hand, if the VA is willing to print the values of the plot points of your audiogram, that should take care of your problem.

 

Steven C. Sterry, M.A./M.B.A.

10149 Grayling AV. – Whittier, CA  90603-2608

Phone (562) 947-2258

Email: steve.sterry@...

 



On Fri, Mar 25, 2022 at 2:53 AM N Y Business <black8765309.8765309@...> wrote:
The issue is that what is put in the records should be usable by other audiologists.
I'm looking for the " Tools Menu " . Can't find that .

Virus-free. www.avast.com

On Fri, Mar 25, 2022 at 2:53 AM Steve Sterry <steve.sterry@...> wrote:
That's too bad.  All of the notes that I found in my record were very professional and very detailed.  Maybe you should contact your Audiology Department head and explain your specific needs to him or her.  In the meantime, maybe we can get a general letter from HLAA to the National VA to suggest that audiologists notes be held to the same standards and detail of the other medical practitioners that we veterans see. 

 

Steven C. Sterry, M.A./M.B.A.

10149 Grayling AV. – Whittier, CA  90603-2608

Phone (562) 947-2258

Email: steve.sterry@...

 



On Thu, Mar 24, 2022 at 9:48 PM N Y Business <black8765309.8765309@...> wrote:
I'm searching for the records now .  There are some comments about how good of a job the audiologist did according to the audiologist in regards to fit and was I happy to get them. Nothing another audiologist can use. The audoligist was covering his azz his all I can find so far.

On Thu, Mar 24, 2022 at 11:36 PM Steve Sterry <steve.sterry@...> wrote:
Understood.  Perhaps one temporary solution to the problem would be to ask your audiologist to document the measurements at each normal plot point on the audiogram chart in his or her comments.  As I understand, the normal plot points are 125, 250, 500. 1k, 2k, 4k, and 8kHZ.  That is the only additional information that outside audiologists would really need.  Perhaps the HLAA could draft and send a letter to Washington with a request that this be standardized for the whole VA system.

I think that part of the problem here is that the VA is trying to shift from its old archaic system into a new one and is having enough problems generating the necessary data to create reliable medical records.  I think that the resistance that you are getting is based upon their plans to activate the new system and deactivate the old one.  They don't want to spend money enhancing a computer system that will shortly (as they hope) go away.

What do you think?

 

Steven C. Sterry, M.A./M.B.A.

10149 Grayling AV. – Whittier, CA  90603-2608

Phone (562) 947-2258

Email: steve.sterry@...

 



On Thu, Mar 24, 2022 at 7:24 PM N Y Business <black8765309.8765309@...> wrote:
I am also a premium member and have searched the Blue Dot. The graph is what is needed when you are going to an outside audiologist to avoid retaking the test at a cost. . Now I can get images of MRI and CAT scans and colonoscopy from the Blue Dot info sharing download etc. . But not a scanned document of the hearing test which is what outside audiologist and need to make adjustments to hearing aids. 

Virus-free. www.avast.com

On Thu, Mar 24, 2022 at 8:24 PM Steve Sterry <steve.sterry@...> wrote:
I understand that some members of this group have complained that audiology medical records are being excluded from our online medical records.  I can tell you that is not the case in our Los Angeles area VA facilities.  I have a premium account in MyHealtheVet, and I was able to select VA Notes in the VA Blue Button Report section.  I was able to find notes going back to the year 2013.  The following is an example that I read from my 2013 report:

"Audiological Evaluation (view Audiogram under Tools menu) Purpose of visit: re-evaluation Primary complaint: Pt. perceives decrease in hearing sensitivity History: Situation(s) of greatest difficulty: Background noise History of middle ear disease/surgery: denied Tinnitus: both ears constant Dizziness/vertigo: present occasionally when leaning head back Aural Fullness: No Otalgia: No Hearing aid use: both ears VA issued; removal wire has broken off aid. Unable to replace wire in clinic. Pt. did not want to send aids in at this time. Cleaned and checked both aids. Both aids functioning properly. Results: Otoscopy: Right ear: clear view of eardrum Left ear: clear view of eardrum Tympanometry: Right ear: normal Left ear: normal Earphones used: supra-aural earphones Test reliability: good Impressions: AD: Mild to profound sensorineural hearing loss. Word recognition for amplified speech was fair-to-poor (45-59%). 52% @ 85 dbHL AS: Mild to profound sensorineural hearing loss. Word recognition for amplified speech was good (80-100%). 80% @ 90 dbHL AU: Hearing essentially unchanged. Patient education: Communication strategies for difficult listening situations, Realistic expectations from hearing aid use Recommendations: The results of the hearing test were explained to the patient. RTC if hearing changes. Pt. is interested in new amplification. Spoke with patient about new hearing aids coming on contract in May. Pt. will contact audiologist after May 1."

Yes, my audiogram is missing.  However, its evaluation is still there.  The reason that the audiogram is not there has to do with the fact that the VA report system (including all test results) is a text based system.  It is not capable of being presented graphically.  

Maybe this is a regional issue, rather than a national issue.  Or maybe some people are looking in the wrong section of their Blue Ribbon reports.  I hope this might shed some light to this issue.

 

Steven C. Sterry, M.A./M.B.A.

10149 Grayling AV. – Whittier, CA  90603-2608

Phone (562) 947-2258

Email: steve.sterry@...

 


Re: External Veteran Survey

N Y Business
 

Sorry. I don't work there . I'm the Veteran using the Blue dot website. I'm using the Blue Dot web site because the VA is 90 miles away. It was designed for this reason. for veterans to use when they need access to their records.


On Fri, Mar 25, 2022 at 2:16 PM Steve Sterry <steve.sterry@...> wrote:
You can't find the "tools" menu because you are looking at a printout of the record, not the record itself.  The record can only be accessed on the VA computers.  On the other hand, if the VA is willing to print the values of the plot points of your audiogram, that should take care of your problem.

 

Steven C. Sterry, M.A./M.B.A.

10149 Grayling AV. – Whittier, CA  90603-2608

Phone (562) 947-2258

Email: steve.sterry@...

 



On Fri, Mar 25, 2022 at 2:53 AM N Y Business <black8765309.8765309@...> wrote:
The issue is that what is put in the records should be usable by other audiologists.
I'm looking for the " Tools Menu " . Can't find that .

Virus-free. www.avast.com

On Fri, Mar 25, 2022 at 2:53 AM Steve Sterry <steve.sterry@...> wrote:
That's too bad.  All of the notes that I found in my record were very professional and very detailed.  Maybe you should contact your Audiology Department head and explain your specific needs to him or her.  In the meantime, maybe we can get a general letter from HLAA to the National VA to suggest that audiologists notes be held to the same standards and detail of the other medical practitioners that we veterans see. 

 

Steven C. Sterry, M.A./M.B.A.

10149 Grayling AV. – Whittier, CA  90603-2608

Phone (562) 947-2258

Email: steve.sterry@...

 



On Thu, Mar 24, 2022 at 9:48 PM N Y Business <black8765309.8765309@...> wrote:
I'm searching for the records now .  There are some comments about how good of a job the audiologist did according to the audiologist in regards to fit and was I happy to get them. Nothing another audiologist can use. The audoligist was covering his azz his all I can find so far.

On Thu, Mar 24, 2022 at 11:36 PM Steve Sterry <steve.sterry@...> wrote:
Understood.  Perhaps one temporary solution to the problem would be to ask your audiologist to document the measurements at each normal plot point on the audiogram chart in his or her comments.  As I understand, the normal plot points are 125, 250, 500. 1k, 2k, 4k, and 8kHZ.  That is the only additional information that outside audiologists would really need.  Perhaps the HLAA could draft and send a letter to Washington with a request that this be standardized for the whole VA system.

I think that part of the problem here is that the VA is trying to shift from its old archaic system into a new one and is having enough problems generating the necessary data to create reliable medical records.  I think that the resistance that you are getting is based upon their plans to activate the new system and deactivate the old one.  They don't want to spend money enhancing a computer system that will shortly (as they hope) go away.

What do you think?

 

Steven C. Sterry, M.A./M.B.A.

10149 Grayling AV. – Whittier, CA  90603-2608

Phone (562) 947-2258

Email: steve.sterry@...

 



On Thu, Mar 24, 2022 at 7:24 PM N Y Business <black8765309.8765309@...> wrote:
I am also a premium member and have searched the Blue Dot. The graph is what is needed when you are going to an outside audiologist to avoid retaking the test at a cost. . Now I can get images of MRI and CAT scans and colonoscopy from the Blue Dot info sharing download etc. . But not a scanned document of the hearing test which is what outside audiologist and need to make adjustments to hearing aids. 

Virus-free. www.avast.com

On Thu, Mar 24, 2022 at 8:24 PM Steve Sterry <steve.sterry@...> wrote:
I understand that some members of this group have complained that audiology medical records are being excluded from our online medical records.  I can tell you that is not the case in our Los Angeles area VA facilities.  I have a premium account in MyHealtheVet, and I was able to select VA Notes in the VA Blue Button Report section.  I was able to find notes going back to the year 2013.  The following is an example that I read from my 2013 report:

"Audiological Evaluation (view Audiogram under Tools menu) Purpose of visit: re-evaluation Primary complaint: Pt. perceives decrease in hearing sensitivity History: Situation(s) of greatest difficulty: Background noise History of middle ear disease/surgery: denied Tinnitus: both ears constant Dizziness/vertigo: present occasionally when leaning head back Aural Fullness: No Otalgia: No Hearing aid use: both ears VA issued; removal wire has broken off aid. Unable to replace wire in clinic. Pt. did not want to send aids in at this time. Cleaned and checked both aids. Both aids functioning properly. Results: Otoscopy: Right ear: clear view of eardrum Left ear: clear view of eardrum Tympanometry: Right ear: normal Left ear: normal Earphones used: supra-aural earphones Test reliability: good Impressions: AD: Mild to profound sensorineural hearing loss. Word recognition for amplified speech was fair-to-poor (45-59%). 52% @ 85 dbHL AS: Mild to profound sensorineural hearing loss. Word recognition for amplified speech was good (80-100%). 80% @ 90 dbHL AU: Hearing essentially unchanged. Patient education: Communication strategies for difficult listening situations, Realistic expectations from hearing aid use Recommendations: The results of the hearing test were explained to the patient. RTC if hearing changes. Pt. is interested in new amplification. Spoke with patient about new hearing aids coming on contract in May. Pt. will contact audiologist after May 1."

Yes, my audiogram is missing.  However, its evaluation is still there.  The reason that the audiogram is not there has to do with the fact that the VA report system (including all test results) is a text based system.  It is not capable of being presented graphically.  

Maybe this is a regional issue, rather than a national issue.  Or maybe some people are looking in the wrong section of their Blue Ribbon reports.  I hope this might shed some light to this issue.

 

Steven C. Sterry, M.A./M.B.A.

10149 Grayling AV. – Whittier, CA  90603-2608

Phone (562) 947-2258

Email: steve.sterry@...

 


Re: External Veteran Survey

Steve Sterry
 

You can't find the "tools" menu because you are looking at a printout of the record, not the record itself.  The record can only be accessed on the VA computers.  On the other hand, if the VA is willing to print the values of the plot points of your audiogram, that should take care of your problem.

 

Steven C. Sterry, M.A./M.B.A.

10149 Grayling AV. – Whittier, CA  90603-2608

Phone (562) 947-2258

Email: steve.sterry@...

 



On Fri, Mar 25, 2022 at 2:53 AM N Y Business <black8765309.8765309@...> wrote:
The issue is that what is put in the records should be usable by other audiologists.
I'm looking for the " Tools Menu " . Can't find that .

Virus-free. www.avast.com

On Fri, Mar 25, 2022 at 2:53 AM Steve Sterry <steve.sterry@...> wrote:
That's too bad.  All of the notes that I found in my record were very professional and very detailed.  Maybe you should contact your Audiology Department head and explain your specific needs to him or her.  In the meantime, maybe we can get a general letter from HLAA to the National VA to suggest that audiologists notes be held to the same standards and detail of the other medical practitioners that we veterans see. 

 

Steven C. Sterry, M.A./M.B.A.

10149 Grayling AV. – Whittier, CA  90603-2608

Phone (562) 947-2258

Email: steve.sterry@...

 



On Thu, Mar 24, 2022 at 9:48 PM N Y Business <black8765309.8765309@...> wrote:
I'm searching for the records now .  There are some comments about how good of a job the audiologist did according to the audiologist in regards to fit and was I happy to get them. Nothing another audiologist can use. The audoligist was covering his azz his all I can find so far.

On Thu, Mar 24, 2022 at 11:36 PM Steve Sterry <steve.sterry@...> wrote:
Understood.  Perhaps one temporary solution to the problem would be to ask your audiologist to document the measurements at each normal plot point on the audiogram chart in his or her comments.  As I understand, the normal plot points are 125, 250, 500. 1k, 2k, 4k, and 8kHZ.  That is the only additional information that outside audiologists would really need.  Perhaps the HLAA could draft and send a letter to Washington with a request that this be standardized for the whole VA system.

I think that part of the problem here is that the VA is trying to shift from its old archaic system into a new one and is having enough problems generating the necessary data to create reliable medical records.  I think that the resistance that you are getting is based upon their plans to activate the new system and deactivate the old one.  They don't want to spend money enhancing a computer system that will shortly (as they hope) go away.

What do you think?

 

Steven C. Sterry, M.A./M.B.A.

10149 Grayling AV. – Whittier, CA  90603-2608

Phone (562) 947-2258

Email: steve.sterry@...

 



On Thu, Mar 24, 2022 at 7:24 PM N Y Business <black8765309.8765309@...> wrote:
I am also a premium member and have searched the Blue Dot. The graph is what is needed when you are going to an outside audiologist to avoid retaking the test at a cost. . Now I can get images of MRI and CAT scans and colonoscopy from the Blue Dot info sharing download etc. . But not a scanned document of the hearing test which is what outside audiologist and need to make adjustments to hearing aids. 

Virus-free. www.avast.com

On Thu, Mar 24, 2022 at 8:24 PM Steve Sterry <steve.sterry@...> wrote:
I understand that some members of this group have complained that audiology medical records are being excluded from our online medical records.  I can tell you that is not the case in our Los Angeles area VA facilities.  I have a premium account in MyHealtheVet, and I was able to select VA Notes in the VA Blue Button Report section.  I was able to find notes going back to the year 2013.  The following is an example that I read from my 2013 report:

"Audiological Evaluation (view Audiogram under Tools menu) Purpose of visit: re-evaluation Primary complaint: Pt. perceives decrease in hearing sensitivity History: Situation(s) of greatest difficulty: Background noise History of middle ear disease/surgery: denied Tinnitus: both ears constant Dizziness/vertigo: present occasionally when leaning head back Aural Fullness: No Otalgia: No Hearing aid use: both ears VA issued; removal wire has broken off aid. Unable to replace wire in clinic. Pt. did not want to send aids in at this time. Cleaned and checked both aids. Both aids functioning properly. Results: Otoscopy: Right ear: clear view of eardrum Left ear: clear view of eardrum Tympanometry: Right ear: normal Left ear: normal Earphones used: supra-aural earphones Test reliability: good Impressions: AD: Mild to profound sensorineural hearing loss. Word recognition for amplified speech was fair-to-poor (45-59%). 52% @ 85 dbHL AS: Mild to profound sensorineural hearing loss. Word recognition for amplified speech was good (80-100%). 80% @ 90 dbHL AU: Hearing essentially unchanged. Patient education: Communication strategies for difficult listening situations, Realistic expectations from hearing aid use Recommendations: The results of the hearing test were explained to the patient. RTC if hearing changes. Pt. is interested in new amplification. Spoke with patient about new hearing aids coming on contract in May. Pt. will contact audiologist after May 1."

Yes, my audiogram is missing.  However, its evaluation is still there.  The reason that the audiogram is not there has to do with the fact that the VA report system (including all test results) is a text based system.  It is not capable of being presented graphically.  

Maybe this is a regional issue, rather than a national issue.  Or maybe some people are looking in the wrong section of their Blue Ribbon reports.  I hope this might shed some light to this issue.

 

Steven C. Sterry, M.A./M.B.A.

10149 Grayling AV. – Whittier, CA  90603-2608

Phone (562) 947-2258

Email: steve.sterry@...

 


Re: External Veteran Survey

N Y Business
 

The issue is that what is put in the records should be usable by other audiologists.
I'm looking for the " Tools Menu " . Can't find that .

Virus-free. www.avast.com


On Fri, Mar 25, 2022 at 2:53 AM Steve Sterry <steve.sterry@...> wrote:
That's too bad.  All of the notes that I found in my record were very professional and very detailed.  Maybe you should contact your Audiology Department head and explain your specific needs to him or her.  In the meantime, maybe we can get a general letter from HLAA to the National VA to suggest that audiologists notes be held to the same standards and detail of the other medical practitioners that we veterans see. 

 

Steven C. Sterry, M.A./M.B.A.

10149 Grayling AV. – Whittier, CA  90603-2608

Phone (562) 947-2258

Email: steve.sterry@...

 



On Thu, Mar 24, 2022 at 9:48 PM N Y Business <black8765309.8765309@...> wrote:
I'm searching for the records now .  There are some comments about how good of a job the audiologist did according to the audiologist in regards to fit and was I happy to get them. Nothing another audiologist can use. The audoligist was covering his azz his all I can find so far.

On Thu, Mar 24, 2022 at 11:36 PM Steve Sterry <steve.sterry@...> wrote:
Understood.  Perhaps one temporary solution to the problem would be to ask your audiologist to document the measurements at each normal plot point on the audiogram chart in his or her comments.  As I understand, the normal plot points are 125, 250, 500. 1k, 2k, 4k, and 8kHZ.  That is the only additional information that outside audiologists would really need.  Perhaps the HLAA could draft and send a letter to Washington with a request that this be standardized for the whole VA system.

I think that part of the problem here is that the VA is trying to shift from its old archaic system into a new one and is having enough problems generating the necessary data to create reliable medical records.  I think that the resistance that you are getting is based upon their plans to activate the new system and deactivate the old one.  They don't want to spend money enhancing a computer system that will shortly (as they hope) go away.

What do you think?

 

Steven C. Sterry, M.A./M.B.A.

10149 Grayling AV. – Whittier, CA  90603-2608

Phone (562) 947-2258

Email: steve.sterry@...

 



On Thu, Mar 24, 2022 at 7:24 PM N Y Business <black8765309.8765309@...> wrote:
I am also a premium member and have searched the Blue Dot. The graph is what is needed when you are going to an outside audiologist to avoid retaking the test at a cost. . Now I can get images of MRI and CAT scans and colonoscopy from the Blue Dot info sharing download etc. . But not a scanned document of the hearing test which is what outside audiologist and need to make adjustments to hearing aids. 

Virus-free. www.avast.com

On Thu, Mar 24, 2022 at 8:24 PM Steve Sterry <steve.sterry@...> wrote:
I understand that some members of this group have complained that audiology medical records are being excluded from our online medical records.  I can tell you that is not the case in our Los Angeles area VA facilities.  I have a premium account in MyHealtheVet, and I was able to select VA Notes in the VA Blue Button Report section.  I was able to find notes going back to the year 2013.  The following is an example that I read from my 2013 report:

"Audiological Evaluation (view Audiogram under Tools menu) Purpose of visit: re-evaluation Primary complaint: Pt. perceives decrease in hearing sensitivity History: Situation(s) of greatest difficulty: Background noise History of middle ear disease/surgery: denied Tinnitus: both ears constant Dizziness/vertigo: present occasionally when leaning head back Aural Fullness: No Otalgia: No Hearing aid use: both ears VA issued; removal wire has broken off aid. Unable to replace wire in clinic. Pt. did not want to send aids in at this time. Cleaned and checked both aids. Both aids functioning properly. Results: Otoscopy: Right ear: clear view of eardrum Left ear: clear view of eardrum Tympanometry: Right ear: normal Left ear: normal Earphones used: supra-aural earphones Test reliability: good Impressions: AD: Mild to profound sensorineural hearing loss. Word recognition for amplified speech was fair-to-poor (45-59%). 52% @ 85 dbHL AS: Mild to profound sensorineural hearing loss. Word recognition for amplified speech was good (80-100%). 80% @ 90 dbHL AU: Hearing essentially unchanged. Patient education: Communication strategies for difficult listening situations, Realistic expectations from hearing aid use Recommendations: The results of the hearing test were explained to the patient. RTC if hearing changes. Pt. is interested in new amplification. Spoke with patient about new hearing aids coming on contract in May. Pt. will contact audiologist after May 1."

Yes, my audiogram is missing.  However, its evaluation is still there.  The reason that the audiogram is not there has to do with the fact that the VA report system (including all test results) is a text based system.  It is not capable of being presented graphically.  

Maybe this is a regional issue, rather than a national issue.  Or maybe some people are looking in the wrong section of their Blue Ribbon reports.  I hope this might shed some light to this issue.

 

Steven C. Sterry, M.A./M.B.A.

10149 Grayling AV. – Whittier, CA  90603-2608

Phone (562) 947-2258

Email: steve.sterry@...

 


Re: External Veteran Survey

Steve Sterry
 

That's too bad.  All of the notes that I found in my record were very professional and very detailed.  Maybe you should contact your Audiology Department head and explain your specific needs to him or her.  In the meantime, maybe we can get a general letter from HLAA to the National VA to suggest that audiologists notes be held to the same standards and detail of the other medical practitioners that we veterans see. 

 

Steven C. Sterry, M.A./M.B.A.

10149 Grayling AV. – Whittier, CA  90603-2608

Phone (562) 947-2258

Email: steve.sterry@...

 



On Thu, Mar 24, 2022 at 9:48 PM N Y Business <black8765309.8765309@...> wrote:
I'm searching for the records now .  There are some comments about how good of a job the audiologist did according to the audiologist in regards to fit and was I happy to get them. Nothing another audiologist can use. The audoligist was covering his azz his all I can find so far.

On Thu, Mar 24, 2022 at 11:36 PM Steve Sterry <steve.sterry@...> wrote:
Understood.  Perhaps one temporary solution to the problem would be to ask your audiologist to document the measurements at each normal plot point on the audiogram chart in his or her comments.  As I understand, the normal plot points are 125, 250, 500. 1k, 2k, 4k, and 8kHZ.  That is the only additional information that outside audiologists would really need.  Perhaps the HLAA could draft and send a letter to Washington with a request that this be standardized for the whole VA system.

I think that part of the problem here is that the VA is trying to shift from its old archaic system into a new one and is having enough problems generating the necessary data to create reliable medical records.  I think that the resistance that you are getting is based upon their plans to activate the new system and deactivate the old one.  They don't want to spend money enhancing a computer system that will shortly (as they hope) go away.

What do you think?

 

Steven C. Sterry, M.A./M.B.A.

10149 Grayling AV. – Whittier, CA  90603-2608

Phone (562) 947-2258

Email: steve.sterry@...

 



On Thu, Mar 24, 2022 at 7:24 PM N Y Business <black8765309.8765309@...> wrote:
I am also a premium member and have searched the Blue Dot. The graph is what is needed when you are going to an outside audiologist to avoid retaking the test at a cost. . Now I can get images of MRI and CAT scans and colonoscopy from the Blue Dot info sharing download etc. . But not a scanned document of the hearing test which is what outside audiologist and need to make adjustments to hearing aids. 

Virus-free. www.avast.com

On Thu, Mar 24, 2022 at 8:24 PM Steve Sterry <steve.sterry@...> wrote:
I understand that some members of this group have complained that audiology medical records are being excluded from our online medical records.  I can tell you that is not the case in our Los Angeles area VA facilities.  I have a premium account in MyHealtheVet, and I was able to select VA Notes in the VA Blue Button Report section.  I was able to find notes going back to the year 2013.  The following is an example that I read from my 2013 report:

"Audiological Evaluation (view Audiogram under Tools menu) Purpose of visit: re-evaluation Primary complaint: Pt. perceives decrease in hearing sensitivity History: Situation(s) of greatest difficulty: Background noise History of middle ear disease/surgery: denied Tinnitus: both ears constant Dizziness/vertigo: present occasionally when leaning head back Aural Fullness: No Otalgia: No Hearing aid use: both ears VA issued; removal wire has broken off aid. Unable to replace wire in clinic. Pt. did not want to send aids in at this time. Cleaned and checked both aids. Both aids functioning properly. Results: Otoscopy: Right ear: clear view of eardrum Left ear: clear view of eardrum Tympanometry: Right ear: normal Left ear: normal Earphones used: supra-aural earphones Test reliability: good Impressions: AD: Mild to profound sensorineural hearing loss. Word recognition for amplified speech was fair-to-poor (45-59%). 52% @ 85 dbHL AS: Mild to profound sensorineural hearing loss. Word recognition for amplified speech was good (80-100%). 80% @ 90 dbHL AU: Hearing essentially unchanged. Patient education: Communication strategies for difficult listening situations, Realistic expectations from hearing aid use Recommendations: The results of the hearing test were explained to the patient. RTC if hearing changes. Pt. is interested in new amplification. Spoke with patient about new hearing aids coming on contract in May. Pt. will contact audiologist after May 1."

Yes, my audiogram is missing.  However, its evaluation is still there.  The reason that the audiogram is not there has to do with the fact that the VA report system (including all test results) is a text based system.  It is not capable of being presented graphically.  

Maybe this is a regional issue, rather than a national issue.  Or maybe some people are looking in the wrong section of their Blue Ribbon reports.  I hope this might shed some light to this issue.

 

Steven C. Sterry, M.A./M.B.A.

10149 Grayling AV. – Whittier, CA  90603-2608

Phone (562) 947-2258

Email: steve.sterry@...

 


Re: External Veteran Survey

N Y Business
 

I'm searching for the records now .  There are some comments about how good of a job the audiologist did according to the audiologist in regards to fit and was I happy to get them. Nothing another audiologist can use. The audoligist was covering his azz his all I can find so far.


On Thu, Mar 24, 2022 at 11:36 PM Steve Sterry <steve.sterry@...> wrote:
Understood.  Perhaps one temporary solution to the problem would be to ask your audiologist to document the measurements at each normal plot point on the audiogram chart in his or her comments.  As I understand, the normal plot points are 125, 250, 500. 1k, 2k, 4k, and 8kHZ.  That is the only additional information that outside audiologists would really need.  Perhaps the HLAA could draft and send a letter to Washington with a request that this be standardized for the whole VA system.

I think that part of the problem here is that the VA is trying to shift from its old archaic system into a new one and is having enough problems generating the necessary data to create reliable medical records.  I think that the resistance that you are getting is based upon their plans to activate the new system and deactivate the old one.  They don't want to spend money enhancing a computer system that will shortly (as they hope) go away.

What do you think?

 

Steven C. Sterry, M.A./M.B.A.

10149 Grayling AV. – Whittier, CA  90603-2608

Phone (562) 947-2258

Email: steve.sterry@...

 



On Thu, Mar 24, 2022 at 7:24 PM N Y Business <black8765309.8765309@...> wrote:
I am also a premium member and have searched the Blue Dot. The graph is what is needed when you are going to an outside audiologist to avoid retaking the test at a cost. . Now I can get images of MRI and CAT scans and colonoscopy from the Blue Dot info sharing download etc. . But not a scanned document of the hearing test which is what outside audiologist and need to make adjustments to hearing aids. 

Virus-free. www.avast.com

On Thu, Mar 24, 2022 at 8:24 PM Steve Sterry <steve.sterry@...> wrote:
I understand that some members of this group have complained that audiology medical records are being excluded from our online medical records.  I can tell you that is not the case in our Los Angeles area VA facilities.  I have a premium account in MyHealtheVet, and I was able to select VA Notes in the VA Blue Button Report section.  I was able to find notes going back to the year 2013.  The following is an example that I read from my 2013 report:

"Audiological Evaluation (view Audiogram under Tools menu) Purpose of visit: re-evaluation Primary complaint: Pt. perceives decrease in hearing sensitivity History: Situation(s) of greatest difficulty: Background noise History of middle ear disease/surgery: denied Tinnitus: both ears constant Dizziness/vertigo: present occasionally when leaning head back Aural Fullness: No Otalgia: No Hearing aid use: both ears VA issued; removal wire has broken off aid. Unable to replace wire in clinic. Pt. did not want to send aids in at this time. Cleaned and checked both aids. Both aids functioning properly. Results: Otoscopy: Right ear: clear view of eardrum Left ear: clear view of eardrum Tympanometry: Right ear: normal Left ear: normal Earphones used: supra-aural earphones Test reliability: good Impressions: AD: Mild to profound sensorineural hearing loss. Word recognition for amplified speech was fair-to-poor (45-59%). 52% @ 85 dbHL AS: Mild to profound sensorineural hearing loss. Word recognition for amplified speech was good (80-100%). 80% @ 90 dbHL AU: Hearing essentially unchanged. Patient education: Communication strategies for difficult listening situations, Realistic expectations from hearing aid use Recommendations: The results of the hearing test were explained to the patient. RTC if hearing changes. Pt. is interested in new amplification. Spoke with patient about new hearing aids coming on contract in May. Pt. will contact audiologist after May 1."

Yes, my audiogram is missing.  However, its evaluation is still there.  The reason that the audiogram is not there has to do with the fact that the VA report system (including all test results) is a text based system.  It is not capable of being presented graphically.  

Maybe this is a regional issue, rather than a national issue.  Or maybe some people are looking in the wrong section of their Blue Ribbon reports.  I hope this might shed some light to this issue.

 

Steven C. Sterry, M.A./M.B.A.

10149 Grayling AV. – Whittier, CA  90603-2608

Phone (562) 947-2258

Email: steve.sterry@...

 


Re: External Veteran Survey

Steve Sterry
 

Understood.  Perhaps one temporary solution to the problem would be to ask your audiologist to document the measurements at each normal plot point on the audiogram chart in his or her comments.  As I understand, the normal plot points are 125, 250, 500. 1k, 2k, 4k, and 8kHZ.  That is the only additional information that outside audiologists would really need.  Perhaps the HLAA could draft and send a letter to Washington with a request that this be standardized for the whole VA system.

I think that part of the problem here is that the VA is trying to shift from its old archaic system into a new one and is having enough problems generating the necessary data to create reliable medical records.  I think that the resistance that you are getting is based upon their plans to activate the new system and deactivate the old one.  They don't want to spend money enhancing a computer system that will shortly (as they hope) go away.

What do you think?

 

Steven C. Sterry, M.A./M.B.A.

10149 Grayling AV. – Whittier, CA  90603-2608

Phone (562) 947-2258

Email: steve.sterry@...

 



On Thu, Mar 24, 2022 at 7:24 PM N Y Business <black8765309.8765309@...> wrote:
I am also a premium member and have searched the Blue Dot. The graph is what is needed when you are going to an outside audiologist to avoid retaking the test at a cost. . Now I can get images of MRI and CAT scans and colonoscopy from the Blue Dot info sharing download etc. . But not a scanned document of the hearing test which is what outside audiologist and need to make adjustments to hearing aids. 

Virus-free. www.avast.com

On Thu, Mar 24, 2022 at 8:24 PM Steve Sterry <steve.sterry@...> wrote:
I understand that some members of this group have complained that audiology medical records are being excluded from our online medical records.  I can tell you that is not the case in our Los Angeles area VA facilities.  I have a premium account in MyHealtheVet, and I was able to select VA Notes in the VA Blue Button Report section.  I was able to find notes going back to the year 2013.  The following is an example that I read from my 2013 report:

"Audiological Evaluation (view Audiogram under Tools menu) Purpose of visit: re-evaluation Primary complaint: Pt. perceives decrease in hearing sensitivity History: Situation(s) of greatest difficulty: Background noise History of middle ear disease/surgery: denied Tinnitus: both ears constant Dizziness/vertigo: present occasionally when leaning head back Aural Fullness: No Otalgia: No Hearing aid use: both ears VA issued; removal wire has broken off aid. Unable to replace wire in clinic. Pt. did not want to send aids in at this time. Cleaned and checked both aids. Both aids functioning properly. Results: Otoscopy: Right ear: clear view of eardrum Left ear: clear view of eardrum Tympanometry: Right ear: normal Left ear: normal Earphones used: supra-aural earphones Test reliability: good Impressions: AD: Mild to profound sensorineural hearing loss. Word recognition for amplified speech was fair-to-poor (45-59%). 52% @ 85 dbHL AS: Mild to profound sensorineural hearing loss. Word recognition for amplified speech was good (80-100%). 80% @ 90 dbHL AU: Hearing essentially unchanged. Patient education: Communication strategies for difficult listening situations, Realistic expectations from hearing aid use Recommendations: The results of the hearing test were explained to the patient. RTC if hearing changes. Pt. is interested in new amplification. Spoke with patient about new hearing aids coming on contract in May. Pt. will contact audiologist after May 1."

Yes, my audiogram is missing.  However, its evaluation is still there.  The reason that the audiogram is not there has to do with the fact that the VA report system (including all test results) is a text based system.  It is not capable of being presented graphically.  

Maybe this is a regional issue, rather than a national issue.  Or maybe some people are looking in the wrong section of their Blue Ribbon reports.  I hope this might shed some light to this issue.

 

Steven C. Sterry, M.A./M.B.A.

10149 Grayling AV. – Whittier, CA  90603-2608

Phone (562) 947-2258

Email: steve.sterry@...

 


Re: External Veteran Survey

N Y Business
 

I am also a premium member and have searched the Blue Dot. The graph is what is needed when you are going to an outside audiologist to avoid retaking the test at a cost. . Now I can get images of MRI and CAT scans and colonoscopy from the Blue Dot info sharing download etc. . But not a scanned document of the hearing test which is what outside audiologist and need to make adjustments to hearing aids. 

Virus-free. www.avast.com


On Thu, Mar 24, 2022 at 8:24 PM Steve Sterry <steve.sterry@...> wrote:
I understand that some members of this group have complained that audiology medical records are being excluded from our online medical records.  I can tell you that is not the case in our Los Angeles area VA facilities.  I have a premium account in MyHealtheVet, and I was able to select VA Notes in the VA Blue Button Report section.  I was able to find notes going back to the year 2013.  The following is an example that I read from my 2013 report:

"Audiological Evaluation (view Audiogram under Tools menu) Purpose of visit: re-evaluation Primary complaint: Pt. perceives decrease in hearing sensitivity History: Situation(s) of greatest difficulty: Background noise History of middle ear disease/surgery: denied Tinnitus: both ears constant Dizziness/vertigo: present occasionally when leaning head back Aural Fullness: No Otalgia: No Hearing aid use: both ears VA issued; removal wire has broken off aid. Unable to replace wire in clinic. Pt. did not want to send aids in at this time. Cleaned and checked both aids. Both aids functioning properly. Results: Otoscopy: Right ear: clear view of eardrum Left ear: clear view of eardrum Tympanometry: Right ear: normal Left ear: normal Earphones used: supra-aural earphones Test reliability: good Impressions: AD: Mild to profound sensorineural hearing loss. Word recognition for amplified speech was fair-to-poor (45-59%). 52% @ 85 dbHL AS: Mild to profound sensorineural hearing loss. Word recognition for amplified speech was good (80-100%). 80% @ 90 dbHL AU: Hearing essentially unchanged. Patient education: Communication strategies for difficult listening situations, Realistic expectations from hearing aid use Recommendations: The results of the hearing test were explained to the patient. RTC if hearing changes. Pt. is interested in new amplification. Spoke with patient about new hearing aids coming on contract in May. Pt. will contact audiologist after May 1."

Yes, my audiogram is missing.  However, its evaluation is still there.  The reason that the audiogram is not there has to do with the fact that the VA report system (including all test results) is a text based system.  It is not capable of being presented graphically.  

Maybe this is a regional issue, rather than a national issue.  Or maybe some people are looking in the wrong section of their Blue Ribbon reports.  I hope this might shed some light to this issue.

 

Steven C. Sterry, M.A./M.B.A.

10149 Grayling AV. – Whittier, CA  90603-2608

Phone (562) 947-2258

Email: steve.sterry@...

 


Re: External Veteran Survey

Steve Sterry
 

I understand that some members of this group have complained that audiology medical records are being excluded from our online medical records.  I can tell you that is not the case in our Los Angeles area VA facilities.  I have a premium account in MyHealtheVet, and I was able to select VA Notes in the VA Blue Button Report section.  I was able to find notes going back to the year 2013.  The following is an example that I read from my 2013 report:

"Audiological Evaluation (view Audiogram under Tools menu) Purpose of visit: re-evaluation Primary complaint: Pt. perceives decrease in hearing sensitivity History: Situation(s) of greatest difficulty: Background noise History of middle ear disease/surgery: denied Tinnitus: both ears constant Dizziness/vertigo: present occasionally when leaning head back Aural Fullness: No Otalgia: No Hearing aid use: both ears VA issued; removal wire has broken off aid. Unable to replace wire in clinic. Pt. did not want to send aids in at this time. Cleaned and checked both aids. Both aids functioning properly. Results: Otoscopy: Right ear: clear view of eardrum Left ear: clear view of eardrum Tympanometry: Right ear: normal Left ear: normal Earphones used: supra-aural earphones Test reliability: good Impressions: AD: Mild to profound sensorineural hearing loss. Word recognition for amplified speech was fair-to-poor (45-59%). 52% @ 85 dbHL AS: Mild to profound sensorineural hearing loss. Word recognition for amplified speech was good (80-100%). 80% @ 90 dbHL AU: Hearing essentially unchanged. Patient education: Communication strategies for difficult listening situations, Realistic expectations from hearing aid use Recommendations: The results of the hearing test were explained to the patient. RTC if hearing changes. Pt. is interested in new amplification. Spoke with patient about new hearing aids coming on contract in May. Pt. will contact audiologist after May 1."

Yes, my audiogram is missing.  However, its evaluation is still there.  The reason that the audiogram is not there has to do with the fact that the VA report system (including all test results) is a text based system.  It is not capable of being presented graphically.  

Maybe this is a regional issue, rather than a national issue.  Or maybe some people are looking in the wrong section of their Blue Ribbon reports.  I hope this might shed some light to this issue.

 

Steven C. Sterry, M.A./M.B.A.

10149 Grayling AV. – Whittier, CA  90603-2608

Phone (562) 947-2258

Email: steve.sterry@...

 


Re: External Veteran Survey

Karl Hallsten
 

This raises for me to a more current level our need to help vets and others know the distinction between ADA which covers all non federal facilities and programs versus Sec 503 of the Federal Rehabilitation Act.—A program that preeceeded the ADA and on which the ADA was modeled. 

I have been seeing and hearinging that the VA has greatly expanded their capacity to provide services virtually—and that Audiology is one of those/  It would be worthwhile to see if we could get a speaker to address that.

Karl

 

From: HLAAVeterans@... <HLAAVeterans@...> On Behalf Of N Y Business via hlaagroups.hearingloss.org
Sent: Thursday, March 24, 2022 10:31 AM
To: HLAAVeterans@...
Subject: Re: [HLAAVeterans] External Veteran Survey

 

I'd think they would also comply with the DOJ in making services accessible to disabled people including veterans.

 

Image removed by sender.

Virus-free. www.avast.com

 

On Thu, Mar 24, 2022 at 12:17 PM Jim Rau <jimrau@...> wrote:

NO - I did not say VA does not have to provide captioning. VA is a part of the Executive Branch of the Federal Government and as such they are exempt form ADA. But they are bound by provisions of Section 503 of the Federal Rehabilitation Act which covers the same things. 

Gald to hear you are picking up ASL. I'm an advocate for ASL as well as hearing loops. I also want veterans to know how to advocate for their own health care. 

You are lucky you're only 180 miles (round trip from your VA. My VA is more than twice that far away. I hope you know that you are eligible for Community Care too. 


Re: External Veteran Survey

N Y Business
 

I'd think they would also comply with the DOJ in making services accessible to disabled people including veterans.

Virus-free. www.avast.com


On Thu, Mar 24, 2022 at 12:17 PM Jim Rau <jimrau@...> wrote:
NO - I did not say VA does not have to provide captioning. VA is a part of the Executive Branch of the Federal Government and as such they are exempt form ADA. But they are bound by provisions of Section 503 of the Federal Rehabilitation Act which covers the same things. 

Gald to hear you are picking up ASL. I'm an advocate for ASL as well as hearing loops. I also want veterans to know how to advocate for their own health care. 

You are lucky you're only 180 miles (round trip from your VA. My VA is more than twice that far away. I hope you know that you are eligible for Community Care too. 


Re: External Veteran Survey

Jim Rau
 

NO - I did not say VA does not have to provide captioning. VA is a part of the Executive Branch of the Federal Government and as such they are exempt form ADA. But they are bound by provisions of Section 503 of the Federal Rehabilitation Act which covers the same things. 

Gald to hear you are picking up ASL. I'm an advocate for ASL as well as hearing loops. I also want veterans to know how to advocate for their own health care. 

You are lucky you're only 180 miles (round trip from your VA. My VA is more than twice that far away. I hope you know that you are eligible for Community Care too. 


Re: External Veteran Survey

N Y Business
 

Yes I have a caption phone.... Hearing aids etc. and am slowly picking up some ASL.

 You say the VA doesn't have to provide CC of the deaf? The disabled hearing vets are denied the same consideration in getting their records online? and that is ok ? Really ?   It's a 180 mile round trip to the VA for me.. 




On Thu, Mar 24, 2022 at 11:09 AM Jim Rau <jimrau@...> wrote:
Black87........... , sorry to hear of you difficulties with VA. I certainly can't answer your questions about why audiology records are not viewable on "MyhealtheVet". VA needs to answer that. Personally I request a copy of my audiogram before I walk out of the office. Otherwise getting it later is a hassle. 

VA is not required to comply with ADA. BUT they are required to comply with Section 503 of the Rehabilitation act (the Federal version of ADA). So they are required to provide accommodations for deaf and HoH. I agree there should be more accommodations in place now. But we have a duty to REQUEST accommodations that we need. We have not done a god job of requesting. We were trained by the military to "get in line and shut up". 

Personally I take my remote mic and phone to my medical appointments. I ask the doctor to wear the mic so I can understand. They are very willing to do that. I also use my phone which has speech-to-text apps on it. It displays the voice of a person to text that I can read. 

Also, as a person who is deaf or HoH, you are entitled to use InnoCaption. It is a phone service you can get for free on your mobil phone which displays text. You can then have the VA call you at that number and be able to read the text of the caller's voice

Consider joining us at the next meeting of the Veterans Across America Virtual Chapter meeting. We meet on the third Tuesday of each month on Zoom.  


Re: External Veteran Survey

Jim Rau
 

Black87........... , sorry to hear of you difficulties with VA. I certainly can't answer your questions about why audiology records are not viewable on "MyhealtheVet". VA needs to answer that. Personally I request a copy of my audiogram before I walk out of the office. Otherwise getting it later is a hassle. 

VA is not required to comply with ADA. BUT they are required to comply with Section 503 of the Rehabilitation act (the Federal version of ADA). So they are required to provide accommodations for deaf and HoH. I agree there should be more accommodations in place now. But we have a duty to REQUEST accommodations that we need. We have not done a god job of requesting. We were trained by the military to "get in line and shut up". 

Personally I take my remote mic and phone to my medical appointments. I ask the doctor to wear the mic so I can understand. They are very willing to do that. I also use my phone which has speech-to-text apps on it. It displays the voice of a person to text that I can read. 

Also, as a person who is deaf or HoH, you are entitled to use InnoCaption. It is a phone service you can get for free on your mobil phone which displays text. You can then have the VA call you at that number and be able to read the text of the caller's voice

Consider joining us at the next meeting of the Veterans Across America Virtual Chapter meeting. We meet on the third Tuesday of each month on Zoom.  


Re: External Veteran Survey

N Y Business
 


  I've been banned from the secure messaging app in my healthy web site for using it too much twice.  The VA is not friendly to hearing impaired or deaf veterans. We are excluded from audiology medical medical records. You can get all other test results but not a hearing test results on line. 
 The Patient advocate They are called patient advocate one day and veterans experience another is not on the veterans side so beware..

41 - 60 of 180